Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This might just be it

So I was going on a nice run yesterday down Happy Valley Road; a two lane road that runs through a fairly narrow and attractive valley on it's way to the south coast of Wellington. It was the first time I had gone running in a while without my music and it was great, I forgot how much I like to think when I run.

During this run I was feeling great and was overcome with a feeling of contentment I dont' think I have ever known except for perhaps in my best times at camp and maybe one other time. I realized how happy I am with the way my life is right now, today (or yesterday as it were). Even for me, someone who lives a pretty easy fulfilling life it is hard not to look to the future or the past with anticipation or longing.

Right now I am exactly where I want to be and I couldn't be happier. After5 weeks almost everything has finally come together for in my life here. I have a day job (Data work at the Ministry of Justice) that although not exactly exciting, pays well, is pretty easy, overall pleasant, and may even be interesting every once in a while. I have my 'Batman' job working for Baxi where I get to make money, have a blast, meet people, and feel like the king of late night bar scene.

I've found an ultimate community here which has been welcoming and I am getting to play a couple times a week, which is all I want. The people are great, the competition is reasonable, and I love playing on actual grass. I am going to a hat tournament in Taupo (4 hours north) this weekend that I am really pumped about.

If there was ever a great city to train for a marathon then Welly is it. I haven't gone on the same run twice there is so many great and scenic options. Every run I explore a new little part of town with some cafe or movie theater that looks nice. I am totally getting sucked into cafe culture. Wellington has more cafes then New York, Seattle, or San Francisco per capita. They are everywhere and I find myself caught in the infectious pull of a long black, flat white, or double mocha on a chilly spring afternoon.

I work a lot between the two jobs but am packing in as much of Wellington as I can while I am here. I love the city and it is amazing how much there is to do in such a small city/region. I have been mentally compilling a list of everything I want to do while I am here and will make it a written list soon.

I'm not even looking forward at traveling in a few months. I'm sure it is going to be great, but I'm in no rush at all. Working, really getting to know this city and becoming a part of it in a meaningful way is what I really wanted when I came here and I really am living my NZ dream.

This doesn't mean my life is perfect, far from it. There are many people who wouldn't want this at all. I live in a flat where there is no light in the bathroom right now, Some nights I only get 3 hours of sleep and most others I get 6. I dealt with an arduous job hunting prospect rife with disappointment, during which I went into a little dept and which led me to two jobs that seemed great but were really not well represented and I was forced to look again. In two months my contract is over here and I will have to do it again. Plus it is freakin cold here, a lot, in the spring.

Still for all my life deprecation it really is great. I am so excited about 3 months of saving money, late nights ruling cuba mall and courtney place on my baxi, overpriced movies at gorgeous movie theaters, places, rugby matches, cricket matches, long blacks in the cafe or in the baxi garage, running all over the city, the Newtown shops, John's Kitchen, biking through wine country, Te Papa for the 7th,8th, 9th.. times, lunches in the park, plays, music, fireworks, views, ultimate, Mr. Bun, Havana, Southern Cross, the Kelburn butcher, Lamb Salad, Thanksgiving picnic, and whatever else I can squeeze out of the next few months, before we head south. I was about to type 'it's gonna be great', but here's the thing: It is great.

Joey
Finished: Brief Wonderous life of Oscar Wao
Currently Reading: Foundation and Empire- Asimov
Up Next: Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell or the Yiddish Policeman's Union or the Omnivores Dilema.

1 comment:

shep said...

you inspire me buddy. i'm packing up to leave today and i'll see you in about 10 days. this is dope!!!