Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Kiwi Natties

So I recently participated in New Zealand Ultimate Nationals. This was my second foreign national championship and I thought I would compare it to my previous one.

Denmark/ New Zealand

Lame 2 day 3 game format/ Full Tournament

Played with Established Club/ Created my own team with friends

Team made up of myself, Shep and a bunch of Danes/ Myself, Shep, Pjay, Ben, Scooter, and six kiwis.

Practiced regularly for a couple months/ Pick up team with no practices

Dominated the tournament, won finals 17-5 / Good Competition, Close Games

Great Weather/ Okay but Windy

Amazing Dinner Saturday Night/ Average Party Saturday Night

A few people I knew/ Knew many people, many of my closest friends in the country

Had to borrow and give back my jersey/ Got sweet free jerseys due to plumbing company sponsorship (weird, I know)

Won the tournament in a blowout/ Won the tournament in a barn burner.

Cool, but mostly in that I got to say I was a Danish National Championship/ One of my best experiences in New Zealand.

Joey Shannon
2006 Danish National Champion
2009 New Zealand National Champion

No comments: