Sunday, July 13, 2008

One of the Boys Part 3-

So the session was underway. At this point I am not going to go day by day but instead speak in terms of a few days at a time. As camp started I was in full gear from day one. I had decided a long time ago that I was going to push myself and throw myself completely into this job. I was going to work harder then I ever had before. I was going to work hard enough that there would be no doubt to my staff that I worked harder then they do and however much I expect of them, I expect more of myself. In the past one of the big complaints that the admin team gets from the staff is that they are lazy, sometimes this was unwarrented as the staff cannot always see all the work that admin do, and sometimes it has been quite warrented. I knew that the way I would get my staff to respect me was to let them see me working hard every second of every day. So I did.



To help make sense of some of this here is a typical day at camp.



730am - Wake up Bell

750am- Flag Raising

800am- Breakfast

840am- Cabin Clean Up

930am- 1st Activity Period

1040am- 2nd Activity Period

1140am- A little free time

1215pm- Lunch

100pm-Rest Hour

230pm- 3rd Activity Period

340pm-4th Activity Period

445pm- Free Swim (Free time where you can swim if you want)

545pm- Dinner

700pm- Evening Activity

815pm- Snack

830pm- Showers, getting ready for bed

900pm- Vespers (evening conversation in cabins)

930pm- Lights Out (For younger campers, a little later for older)





My first focus was above all presence. I was going to be around the cabins all the time, something that is not always done enough in this job. Me being present and visiable is important for a lot of reason. The one I mentioned above, that it lets the staff see how hard I am working. In the beginning most of the staff don't really know exactly what they are doing so it is good to be at an arms reach to be there answer questions as well as get a feel for what you staff need to be doing differently and what they are doing well. If you want to makes things run the way you want them early you had better be there to see it first hand. I have an expression that I say, though mostly to myself, "trust no one, even if you trust them". Never assume anyone is doing what they should, find out. You can only truly know if something is getting done if you check. Many times in the past I have regretted not doing that. Maybe the most important part of presence in the beginning is role modeling. The best way for me too teach staff the way I think they should be doing things. It's amazing how much better you can make yourself at something if you think you are always being watched.

Joey
Currently Reading: Comanche Moon and Shadow of the Giant
On Deck: A Clash of Kings and The Drunkards walk : How Randomness Rules Our Lives

No comments: