Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The End (Kinda)

So it has been a while since I did an update type post (or any for that matter) but I have commited to focusing on the present even if it means skipping some of the past. So I will just mention one quick thing that happened at the end of the summer. So regular camp ended a week ago and that meant the first big departure day for staff, mostly America staff (there are only 7 Americans left working from ~30) though some internationals as well. Plus people that are staying move camps and such so even though it is not the actual end for everyone, it is for many people and is a symbolic end as it is the last time were all together. Afterwords people start leaving at different dates so there really isn't another huge goodbye, just a series of smaller ones. Anyway we always end with our staff circle which is the same way we end OSD at the beginning of the summer. The idea is to give people a chance to give thanks to the group or certain people. Anyway during my first two years ('04 and '05) there was a good deal of crying. The past two years have seen little to no crying. This has definitly been a reflection of the quality of the staff experience which has in my opinion been down for a few different reasons that I won't elaborate on now. Anyway it had been such a great summer that I had really hoped that crying would return (Blake and I had talked about it consistantly throughout the summer). I wasn't dissapointed. Of course everyone didn't cry, but many did and yours truly got a little misty for the first time since the '05 circle (first time since '05 in the staff circle, I've shed a few tears since then that's for sure). So that made me feel pretty good.

Also as I was saying goodbye I was really surprised by how many people referenced small things I had done for them in beginning of the summer, mostly something I said or a note I wrote to praise them. It was mostly people I didn't work with much and maybe didn't know as well so I was surprised they even remembered (I had forgotten about some of the moments). What I came to believe is that the reason it made such an impact was that it came from an unexpected source. Everyone expects to be praised at least occasionally by their supervisor, so when it happens although it makes you feel good, a certain part of you (I know I think this way) inevitably feels like they are just doing their job (they are to a certain extent). However, when it comes from someone who has no responsibility for you, someone who isn't responsible for noticing you and yet they do and take the time to tell you or write it down, that makes an impact. That tells you that you must be doing something right. At least that is what I think. I'm sure this idea has been better presented in innumable management and leadership books but I really noticed it on this occasion.

Incedently I have decided that even when I right a lot at one time I am going to make it into more, smaller, focused posts to make it more digestable.


Joey

No comments: