Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tennis

So right now I am working as tennis camp director. This is not nearly as impressive as it sounds. A more accurate title would be Assistant to the Director. CL runs some specialty camps for the last two weeks of the summer; CO-ED Camp, Tennis Camp, Family Camp, and Golf Camp. I was assigned to be Tennis Camp 'Director' which basically means I oversee the counselors and do whatever is asked of me by the real Director who has been doing this for 35 years (he only comes for Tennis Camp). He is actually in charge and oversees all the tennis coaches. He's a good dude and is very passionate and committed about the program. He has been doing it a long time and is pretty stuck in his ways. Some people in the past have struggled coming from spending all summer making decisions (like I have) to having to just follow orders and carry out ideas, many of which seem silly. It doesn't really bother me that much. He works really hard and I respect people that work hard and I respect that level of commitment to something. So if he needs me to make to type a form this exact way and copy it onto blue paper but then change it because a camper wants to be called Ally instead of Alisha then I'm not that bothered. I just do it. In the end it is much less work then I have been doing all summer and for the first time I have consistent free time. I've been doing some travel planning, buying some stuff, working on my final report for the summer, exercising, reading, and playing Risk with Blake and Wig.

There are two 5 day camps and we just finished the first and started the second today (which is crazy). Not all the kids were that sweet during the first one, especially some of the older guys. However, there were some great one too and most of them are staying for the second session while the others left. I have especially enjoyed getting to know the girls. There are some really cool ones and I enjoy getting to build relationships with girls, something I rarely get to do. I thinks pre-teen/early teen girls are absolutely hilarious and I love talking to them about all sorts of stuff; 5th/6th grade relationships, teen pop (Miley is so my girl), or our favorite part of Bomb Pops (the white part for me, it's lime). That has been the best part for me for sure.

So I got 5 more days which I am looking forward to. Then almost everyone that is left will leave. I will stick around for 3-4 days doing odd jobs, possible painting then leave with Blake on the 29th or 30th before bumming around in the twin cities for 2-3 days. Selling shaved ice at the fair fell through but that is okay, I will still likely take a trip there. Should be a gas.

Joey

No comments: