Wednesday, September 10, 2008

CZ Republics's not so ugly stepsister

So I just got back from Slovakia, sometimes considered [certainly by many Czechs] as the ugly stepsister of CZ. We went to the Tatras mountains, the largest part of the Carpatian Mountains. One of Hana's friends from school has a cabin there. It was myself, Hana, Shep, and two of her friends. It was a really nice time. We spent two days hiking and one day just kind of relaxing not doing much. Both were nice as some of the hikes had some amazing views and some cool things to see, notably a crashed plane from the end of WWII. When I get home I will post some pictures, I haven't had my card readers so I haven't been able to so far. The hikes were long but had good changes of scenery. During the first day Shep and I spent so much time just talking and reminiscing about great times we have had that the girls made fun of us for talking so much. It is amazing how much I can enjoy just remembering some of the stuff we have been through over the last 5 years.

One night we went to some local natural mineral springs, it was pretty nice but a bit cold. While there we ran into the only local we would meet that spoke English the entire time. He was nice guy and overly generous with his alcohol, as it is I never turn down a free drink, so I partook a number of times. We went out to a pub that night and restaurant the next day. Things were stupid cheap. This is an inexpensive country and we were in an area that could be called a little touristy, but those tourists are mostly Slovaks, Poles and Czechs so things were cheap. We had an amazing meal for five that cost about 42 bucks with drinks and dessert.

All and all a really nice few days. It is nice to get outdoors a little while I am here and get away from the normal tourist path. Prague is amazing, but the one criticism I would have is just that there are so many tourists. I don't blame them, I am obviously one too, but it doesn't mean I can't be a bit annoyed. I will have further thoughts on Prague when I leave, I am showing Shep around tomorrow as I have a bit of a handle on the city now and Hana heads for CPH a day before we do.


Joey

Just Finished: The Tipping Point and Lonesome Dove
Currently Reading: Immortality By Milan Kundera [Czech Author]
Up Next: Crash by Jerry Spinnelli

No comments: