Monday, October 27, 2008

Bars, Bush, and Baxis

So Saturdy I was working my Bar-Promo Job, which has been alright. The shifts are short, and it is a lot of handing out stuff. Anyway when I finished up (Midnight), the manager of the bar I was working for that night asked if I wanted to work for a while longer, they were short handed. I said sure and worked as a bar back for 4 hours. It was pretty easy. Pick up glasses, clean glasses, put glasses away mostly.

Apparently though all the staff were pretty surprised at how well I did considering I started when it was already packed and supposedly did better then most of the people that had been around for a while. It was pretty fun actualy. Lots of music and free red bull. After working for about an hour or so the manager asked me if I wanted a job at one of their other bars doing this. I might take it, I enjoyed the work and it goes quick. He is supposed to call me today. We'll see. At 4am when we were done working all the staff just hung around and drank for free for a little while. It was pretty sweet. The staff were all really appreciative for my help and we got on great. I enjoyed myself. So we'll see.

On Sunday Pjay, Ben and myself went on a tramp (hike). It was a two day trip, and we stayed overnight in one of the many 'huts' that are set up on New Zealand trails that you can stay at overnight for pretty cheap. We got a much later start than we originally intended because Peej had to work in the morning so we had to alter our plans a little. Still the hike was great both days. The taxi driver had told us that it was some 'rough bush' (country) and it was a little, though we didn't get to the toughest parts. It was quite muddy though. The highlight though wasn't looking up as looking down. They ground was really neat. There were all these mossy, fearny, soft spots that made the ground feel like a trampoline or memory foam. It was really cool. There was also some great river crossings, some easier than others.

Staying in the hut was great. There was one other group there (this one slept up to 20). We talked a lot to them and shared some of our food. We had pasta, apple crisp and s'mores (though Kiwi Marshmellows are not quite the same). They have gas stoves in the huts which is nice. Combined with a roof, and fireplaces, and some camp mattresses it was pretty comfortable. The next morning we hiked out a different way which was also great, very steep in the beginning. A nice little trip. With work it will be a while before we are able to get out and do something like this again I think.

The other night while working promo stuff I started talking to a guy would was baxi (bike taxi) driver and started asking him about. He told me a bit and said he had only done it a few times but thought it was cool. I got the phone number for the guy that runs it and called him. He said they are always looking for new drivers. It is an independant contractorship so, basically, you rent the bike, and then whatever you make is yours. You just let him know when you would like to work and it works on a first come first serve basis. He said the first time out the bike is free to try it out no-risk (just like crack, right). I told him it sounded good and asked if I could give it a go on Thursday. He said I could and that I should just come by for a quit orientation on Wednesday that he gives to everyone. So I am going to do that tomorrow and ride Thursday. I don't know how much I will make but if it is anything at all I might do it just for the fun one or two nights a week. Updates to come.

Oh and I am cooking lamb salad, tonight, I'm pumped.


Joey

No comments: