Monday, December 22, 2008

After hours and really really big invertibrates.

So I've been doing the 8-5 thing for the first time in my life. It's not so bad mostly because I don't really do anything at my job. In fact I was told to move offices 2.5 weeks ago and I just never did it (no one has said anything yet).

The biggest downside is really, the time it takes up. I'm here, in New Zealand and I only have so much time. Lately I felt I had been falling into a rut during weekdays. Just working and going home. So I'm going to try to refocus my efforts on making the most of these days. Yesterday I had a very nice one.

After work I met Henry and Ben at the Te Papa National Museum, one of the true treasures of Wellington and the entire country. I had already been there a number of times, but was coming back for a new exhibition, one of the most exciting in the museums history. Recently New Zealand fisherman caught the largest Colossal Squid , yet discovered in tact. It was an amazing find and luckily the fisherman new it was something worth saving and froze it. A year or so later it has just been put on public display in the museum, the only colossal squid (the worlds largest invertebrate) in the world on museum display. It one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I saw a giant squid (different) in London once, which was great, but nothing like this. It is the most foreign looking animal I have ever seen and is more likely to evoke imagines of movie aliens than anything else. I won't fully describe it here but check out the link they, are truly amazing.

After that, since the day was gorgeous (you can't beat a good day in Wellington) Henry and I were going to go Mt. Biking, but my knee wasn't feeling up to it. Instead we went down to the water and worked on some stuff (he worked on his camp application, I worked through some edits on a story) and talked. At 8 it was starting to get chilly (though still not dark yet) so we moved on to one of the many Wellington Cafes. This one is called Midnight Espresso. While there we did a little more work but mostly got caught up in talking about a business that we are considering opening when we are back stateside. Were aren't sure if we are going to go for it, but we love talking about it and as time goes on it is seeming more likely, not less.

All and all a really nice evening. I should have more of those.


Joey

No comments: