Friday, December 19, 2008

Kissing

So I was just reading that a friend of mine claims she has kissed 10 boys. It got me thinking; in my adult life of 5.5 years (everyone knows when you turn 18 your record is wiped clean) how many girls have I kissed?

I clearly had to set some criteria as to what constituted a legit 'kiss'. Here is what I came up with:

-First of all it had to be at least 5 seconds. Anything less than that is just a bit of silliness. (note: in the end any that were over 5 seconds ended up being generally much longer, other than one that was about 5-10 minutes the rest were all firmly in 30 minutes + range). 

-It could not be part of a game or in any other way obligatory.

I also decided that I wanted to examine some statistics other than just quantity

So I decided to ask these questions:

What was their nationality?
What was their race?
What was their age relative to mine? (based on school year if they were students)
Was that only time we kissed?(time meaning that 24 hour period beginning with the first kiss)
Were they an Ultimate Player
: For non ultimate players this one takes a bit of explaining. Ultimate players have a well earned reputation of getting involved with other players, a lot. There are two reasons for this I think. The first is that ultimate communities are tight nit and often times players don't really get outside them much which isn't always a good thing. The second is that by and large ultimate players as a group are: educated, like minded, socially outgoing, and athletic (therefore often attractive) people. The women I meet through ultimate are simply more likely to be someone I'd be attracted to.
Did I regret it at any point?
The was actually one last catagory as well, but this remains a wholesome blog so I will leave it out.


So being a bit of a geek I put it all on an excel spreadsheet and here are the results, many were surprising to me.


Number of girls: 14

I thought this would be higher, for some reason I was expecting more like 20. I'm pleased with the lower number, that's just a little over a couple girls a year. That seems rather choosy to me.


Nationality:

USA 10
Czech Republic 1
Mexico 1
New Zealand 1
The Netherlands 1

Race:
European non-latina 11
Latina 1
Indian 1
Hawaiian Pacific 1

Age Relative to mine:
Same 6
Younger 6
Older 2

Avg difference = 0 

Note: this may seem strange, there is one data point which is pulling up the average. If you call it an error (and I mean that purely in the mathematical sense) and eliminate it then the average would be a half a year younger.

Number of girls I only kissed the one time: 5

Number of Ultimate players: 7

Number that I regretted at some point: 4


Using the filter function I tried to see if any interesting results jumped out (I know, I'm being a bad scientist, bad statistician, and below average excel user here. I'm sorry).

Anyway I found that it was significantly more likely I regretted it if it only happened once, no big surprise there.

I found the absolute age difference (doesn't matter if younger or older, just how far away from my age) was higher (2.4) for single occurrences than for multiple occurrences (1.3). 

However those can mostly be chalked up to coincidence do to the small amount of data.  Then again,  I suppose I have no one to blame for that but myself.

XOXOXOXOXO
Joey





No comments: